Last week I ran into an issue, which did teach me something new about the command WRKPRB.
After checking a test LPAR after having applied the latest group PTFs for IBM i 7.4, I noticed the following when checking the apply:
When looking at the joblog of QSYSCOMM1 spoolfiles were being created:
When looking at the output, several QPCSMPRT spoolfiles were created, which did not tell me much to be honest.
When running the command WRKPRB option 8 allows you to work with the problem and to report it to IBM using option 2. The attempt to report the problem to IBM was based on the fact that in the past reporting problems to IBM resulted in a PTF to be downloaded. That will only happen if it is a known problem for which a PTF is already available. When a solution is not available a generic cover letter was send back by IBM: II12302 – INFO APAR FOR FFDC AUTO RESPONSE . This contained the information on how to to open a PMR, which is now called a Case.
The outcome of my attempt to report this problem, resulted in the message “Error occurred while processing request”. So reporting a problem lead to another problem! In order to get to the bottom of this I opened two IBM cases using the web link https://www.ibm.com/mysupport/s/my-cases.
The Report to IBM case resulted in a link to the document:
In there the following section explains why reporting the problem no longer works: